Level: minimum high beginner speaker, high intermediate speaker maximum
Increase ability to recognize and process rapid spoken English, remove mental blocks that hinder progress in listening comprehension.
Newsbyte podcasts, media player, classroom PA system
The teacher will:
- Play a meaningful sound byte, no longer than 12 seconds for the class.
- Instruct the students to write down anything they heard.
- Ask for input from student notes.
- Repeat the sound byte.
- Recite the sound byte slowly and clearly enough for the students to recognize each phoneme. Write on the board or spell any words that students don't recognize.
- Instruct the students to "Repeat after me." Gradually increase the rate of speech until the students' spoken rate matches the rate of the recording. Circulate among the students, listening to individual students and checking for pronunciation accuracy, drilling as necessary.
- Challenge the students to reproduce the sound byte as rapidly as possible, faster than the original recording.
- Move on to the next sound byte.
- Try not to get sidetracked into discussions of what words and expressions mean. Note them on the board and return later after speaking practice.